Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Not A Man

Num. 23:19  God is not a man, that He should lie, nor the son of man that He should repent.  Has He said, and will He not do?  Or has He spoken and will He not make it good?

I bought cereal recently.  What caused me to buy this particular brand was the picture on the box of a highly magnified spoon piled high with golden bran flakes, plump raisins and crunchy, oversized granola clusters.  I could hardly believe that a single spoon could hold the promise of such abundance.

But once I opened the box and began to pour, I quickly realized that I had been misled and deceived.  Boy, was I disappointed!  What I found as I filled my bowl was not-so-golden bran flakes, fewer and much skinnier raisins, and microscopic granola clusters.  How could what I was promised be so far from what I received?

The point I want to make is this.  Man can and will disappoint.  All of us, at one time or another, have been disappointed by someone or have been lied to by another.  And sometimes it's those who are closest to us, our friends, that let us down.  Our trust can easily be misplaced and betrayed by the half-hearted promises or downright lies of men.

But God is not a man.  He is not capable of telling a lie.  That's just who He is.  Every word He speaks is truth.  Every word He speaks finds fulfillment and is accomplished (Isa. 55:11).  His promises are always yes and amen (2 Cor. 1:20).  So, our trust in Him will never be misplaced.  What God says in His Word, He will do.  What God has spoken, He will bring to pass.  There is no greater assurance we can have than knowing with absolute certainty that we can trust God simply because of who He is.  He is not a man!


Sock Monkey Snippet:   We can trust God simply because of who He is.

No comments: