Monday, March 12, 2012

Praising Wholeheartedly

Ps. 9:1  I will praise you, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works.

Whether at work or play, we have a choice concerning how we perform any given activity or task.  And by "perform" let's understand that I mean to describe sincere intentions and not to suggest some sort of staged, superficial response.  We can be completely apathetic and indifferent, we can be halfhearted, or we can embrace what we do wholeheartedly.  In the end, our performance (in this case, our praise) will reveal our passion.  Show me someone who does something wholeheartedly and I'll show you someone with a passion.

The Free Dictionary gives three characteristics when defining a person who is wholehearted.  This person is:

1.  Unconditionally committed.  No matter what, they have determined that what they are doing is worth the investment of time and effort.  Consistently.

2.  Unstintingly devoted.  That is to say their devotion is without limit or bounds.  Extravagant yet singularly focused.

3.  Unreservedly enthusiastic.  Their enthusiasm and energy are apparent, sincere and can even be contagious.

So, when it comes to praising God, in church or anywhere else, where do I see myself?  Am I indifferent or lukewarm?  Or, like David, is my praise really wholehearted?

I want my praise to be a consistent and unconditional investment of my time and effort regardless of my circumstances (Ps. 34:1).  I want it to be extravagant (Mk. 14:3) like the fragrant oil poured on Jesus from the alabaster box, singularly focused on my Lord.  I want my praise to be enthusiastic and apparent, with no rock needing to sing God's praises for me (Lk. 19:40).  I want these things not that I might gain attention but that I might glorify the One who is so deserving and worthy to be praised.  I want my praise to be more than an hour in church every week.  I want it to be every day in the life I lead.  With my whole heart for my whole life.  I want to be found by Him praising wholeheartedly!


Sock Monkey Snippet:  Your praise will reveal your passion.

No comments: