Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Recipe for Happiness

Phil. 4:11-13  I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances...I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or empty.  Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.  (MSG)

I suppose if you were to ask most people what would make them happy in life, they would say money or maybe good health.  A few might say power, influence or position.  But are these really the things that give true and lasting happiness?  If so, then why are some happy with so little while other are miserable with so much?  Why are some able to rejoice even in the midst of suffering and in the absence of comfort?

If we are, as Paul discovered, to be content in whatever state we are in, then our happiness has to be predicated on something else.  Something other than our circumstances.  Something other than our condition.  It has to be based on a connection. 

Jesus described Himself (Jn. 15) as the Vine to which we are to be connected.  Why?  Because apart from Him, we can do NOTHING.  Paul understood that being connected to Christ guaranteed him the strength and sufficiency to make it through ANYTHING!  A Divine Connection was more important and valuable to him than a desired condition.  And maintaining it was his recipe for happiness in any situation. What's yours?


Sock Monkey Snippet:  Seek a Divine Connection rather than a desired condition.

No comments: