Sunday, February 17, 2013

An Everlasting Love

Jer. 31:3  "...I have loved you with an everlasting love..." (NIV)

"...I've never quit loving you and never will.  Expect love, love and more love!" (MSG)

During a recent doctor's office visit, I noticed a pamphlet in the waiting room magazine rack entitled "Five Wishes".  On the cover, below the bold print title, were listed five wishes that a person might want to make known to his or her family.  Just to give you an example, one of them was, "Who do I want to be in charge of making medical decisions for me if I am not able?".  But the one wish I read that made me stop and think was simply, "What do I want (wish) my family to know?".

At first, I thought  about things like life insurance policies, retirement and bank account information.  And that stuff is necessary and important.  But the more I thought about this wish, I began to think about the most important thing I could tell them.  The one thing I would want them to remember more than anything else and forever.  I would want them to know my heart.  Not what we had materially but what we had relationally.

I came to the conclusion that I would want each of them to know how much I loved them from the first day they came into my life until the last.  And then some.  And all along the way, no matter what happened in life, I had never quit loving them and never would.  Although I'm sure mothers feel this way too, I believe this love to be very much that of a father for his family, for his children. I know it is mine.  I hope my family expects love, love and more love from me.

Our Father in heaven expresses His unconditional, inexhaustible love for us in the same way.  If there is one wish the Father would want His children, His family to know, I think this verse says it best.  I've always loved you, I never quit loving you and I never will!  Expect My love.


Sock Monkey Snippet:  God loves you. 


No comments: