Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Dad

One of my best childhood memories was tossing a baseball back and forth with my Dad in the narrow yard beside our house.  I never realized it at the time, but he always positioned me so that my mostly errant throws went sailing safely out into the back yard behind him and not out into the street behind me.  I felt special, having three brothers, knowing that this time that Dad and I shared was just between the two of us.

I can't remember my Dad ever verbally telling me that he loved me.  I guess men of his generation didn't express their emotions so openly.  But I always and without question knew that he loved me because of the time we spent together and by how very special he made me feel.

Toward the end of his life, I made it a point to often tell Dad that I loved him.  As his child, I didn't want him to pass away without hearing those words come from me.  And I only hope that it made him feel special and loved.  The way he always made me feel.

I could talk about how our heavenly Father safely and strategically positions us in life and how, though we often miss the mark, He still loves us.  I could talk about how one-on-one time with the Father is important and about how we can know His love.  Well, I guess I just did.  But more than anything, I want to talk about how we should tell our heavenly Father often and unashamedly how much we love Him.  Dads never grow tired of hearing it from their children.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!  I love you.


Sock Monkey Snippet:  Make Him feel special.  Tell your Dad that you love Him.

2 comments:

Your Loving Daughter, Stephanie said...

I LOVE YOU!!


http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32488915&l=31c5b59e95&id=55300572

Sock Monkey said...

Love you too, Steph!