Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Greatest Treasure

Prov. 18:22  A man's greatest treasure is his wife, she is a gift from the Lord. (CEV)

Today, my wife and I celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary.  I've always liked this verse found in Proverbs and I think this particular translation says it best.  My wife is my greatest treasure!

God has truly given her to me as a gift.  As a token of His favor or as a sign that He delights in me.  I can always look at her and know that He loves me.

Proverbs 31:10-31 describes the virtuous woman and every time I read about her I see the same qualities in the woman I love.  Dependable, kind, industrious, diligent, faithful, intelligent, compassionate, supportive, encouraging, nurturing, strong in character, optimistic, sensible and thoughtful.  All that wrapped up in one beautiful package!  She is my crown (Prov. 12:4), elevating me above the ordinary and giving me significance.  She makes me feel special.

The Matthew Henry Commentary, speaking on Prov. 18:22, notes that a man finding a wife "has found that which will not only contribute to his comfort in this life, but will forward him in the way to heaven."  I can honestly say that my wife has done more for me in terms of my spiritual growth and development than any other person I know.  She has been my teacher, my guide and my committed partner in faith.

When Jacob served Laban for seven years so he could marry Rachel (Gen. 29:20), the time seemed to him like only a few days because he loved her so much.  I know that feeling because 28 years together have gone by all too quickly.  As husband and wife, we truly have become like one person (Eph. 5:31).  And sharing that bond with her has given me a life of happiness and contentment.

I thought it would be fitting to end by quoting Proverbs 31:28-29.  And with great pride her husband says, "There are many good women, but you are the best!"

My love always.  Happy Anniversary, Debi!


Sock Monkey Snippet:  A man's greatest treasure is his wife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you so very much. I remember when I was young praying and asking the Lord for the very best husband that he had for me. The day we got married, I knew he had done just that. You are the best and His perfect plan for my life. You have always reminded me of my grandpap too. His gentle and quiet nature. I can not imagine living mylife without you in it. 28 perfect years... I love you.